Transport Minister: Private vehicles no longer require to display physical motor vehicle license start from Feb 10

PETALING JAYA: Private vehicles owned by Malaysians no longer have to display their motor vehicle licences, commonly referred to as road tax, effective today, says transport minister Loke Siew Fook.

At a press conference, Loke said this was part of the transport ministry’s efforts to digitise the road transport department’s (JPJ) services, particularly for motor vehicle licences and driving licences.

He said Section 20 of the Road Transport Act, which states that motor vehicle licences must be fixed to and exhibited on vehicles, will no longer be enforced.

“This will be done in stages, with the first phase involving individual private vehicles, including motorcycles, owned by Malaysians,” he said.

In the first phase, certain categories of vehicles must still display their motor vehicle licences, including those owned by private firms, foreigners, commercial vehicles as well as public service vehicles.

Loke encouraged the public to register JPJ accounts at https://public.jpj.gov.my/ or the MyJPJ phone application to access their digital motor vehicle licences and driving licences.

“I welcome all drivers and vehicle owners to transition to the digital platform. With this, the congestion and long lines at JPJ counters will be reduced,” he said.

He said the ministry will consider the JPJ system’s preparedness and public reception before widening this to other categories.

Meanwhile, physical driving licences are still required for foreigners, those on probation, as well as those who hold vocational licences and international driving permits.

“Lastly, I want to stress that action will continue to be taken against anyone found driving a vehicle without a valid motor vehicle or driving licence, in line with the Road Transport Act,” Loke said.

Source: Free Malaysia Today