The road and reunite with family, ready to hit

PETALING JAYA: Those with a valid reason to travel interstate have started their journeys from Kuala Lumpur, and travel from Perak, Johor and Kelantan will be allowed from today.

Many of those who left the Federal Capital yesterday said they were unaware that they needed to update the Gerak Malaysia application to get approval, as announced by Senior Minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob on Wednesday.

Muhammad Ridzuan had been stranded in his wife’s hometown in Sabak Bernam since the start of the movement control order on March 18, and needed to return to his house in Desa Pandan, Kuala Lumpur.

“I’ve been working from home over the past month and I am needed at the office which has reopened, ” he added.

The 37-year-old said he registered his details on the Gerak Malaysia app but did not receive any confirmation.

He said he had a letter from his company stating that he needed to be in the office today.

“My wife and children will remain in Sabak Bernam when I return to work. We are worried about children getting infected with Covid-19 if they come back to a red zone area, ” he said.

IT engineer Ahmad Khalis Jasni took a two-hour train ride to Tampin to fetch his wife and children who were in Melaka two weeks before the start of the MCO.
“We have been separated for two months and I’m taking this opportunity to go and bring them back to our house in Puchong, ” he said.

“I wore gloves and a face mask all the time in the train, and kept my distance from other people, ” said the 31-year-old father of two.

Ahmad Khalis said he planned to bring his wife and two children back on Saturday, when those in Melaka and several other states are allowed to travel interstate.

“My wife and I have registered our details via the Gerak Malaysia app but did not receive any confirmation, ” he said, adding that he will try to update the app to see if he could get approval to travel.

Muhammad Afiq needed to travel to Seremban from Taman Tun Dr Ismail, Kuala Lumpur, to visit his father-in-law who is diagnosed with cancer, and was grateful to get permission from the local police station to return to his wife’s hometown.

“I’ll return to TTDI on Monday, with permission from the police and a letter from the company that I work for, ” said the 37-year-old bank officer.