Image credit: Jaja Bakes
Yield: 3 servings
- 1 cup glutinous rice flour
- ½ cup tapioca starch
- ¾ cup water
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ½ cup palm sugar syrup
- 1 pandan leaf
- Pinch of salt
To Make Rice Cake:
- Place rice flour and tapioca starch in a deep mixing bowl and make a well in the center.
- Add water and salt, mix well and knead dough until it can be rolled and shaped. Dough should not be to dry.
- Roll small rice cakes ½-inch in diameter. Cut diagonally 1-inch in length.
- Bring 8 cups of water to a oil. Put it the rice cakes, bring back to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Drain and set the rice cakes aside.
To Make The Sauce:
- Combine water, coconut milk, palm sugar, pandan leaf, and a pinch of salt in a small stockpot. Bring to a boil.
- Add rice cakes and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Cool and serve at room temperature, topped with a tablespoon of fresh grated coconut.
Helpful hints: When preparing the rice cakes, use the amount of water given in the recipe only as a guideline; the quality of flour varies greatly and affects the amount of liquid it absorbs. Add sufficient water to result in a soft, smooth dough. If the rice cakes are dry when shaped, they will be very tough after cooking.