MBSJ launch Medan Selera Puchong Permai with 20 stalls to better manage local businesses

The newly launched RM1.6mil Medan Selera Puchong Permai is part of Subang Jaya City Council’s (MBSJ) efforts to restructure land use and better manage traders and local businesses in the area.

The food court on a 0.16ha plot in Persiaran Puchong Permai, Puchong in Selangor has 20 food stalls, 28 parking bays including one for the disabled, surau and toilets.

Subang Jaya mayor Datuk Johary Anuar said the food court location was formerly the Uptown Bazaar business site and food stalls that burned down in February 2019.

“That gave us the opportunity to restructure and reorganise the space.

“Construction of this food court, which is the first for Zone 14 Residents Representative Council (MPP), started last year and was completed in April this year.

“Traders here are also encouraged to use cashless transactions such as ewallets.”

Johary said MBSJ received over 270 applications when the council advertised the lots available at the food court.

MBSJ then shortlisted and interviewed the applicants, before granting 20 people a stall each, including six who lost their businesses in the 2019 fire.

Eighteen of the 20 food court traders had their premises certified as Grade A, to which Johary expressed hope that they would continue maintaining their cleanliness and hygiene standards.

He presented the certificates to the traders during the food court’s official launch.

Seri Serdang assemblyman Dr Siti Mariah Mahmud lauded the council’s efforts and said the food court was one way to legalise roadside traders and organise them in a more structured manner.

“Traders should make an effort to upgrade and improve their businesses, such as by embracing digitalisation and cashless transactions, while also ensuring they comply with local council guidelines.

“Customers can play a role too, by patronising licensed traders with good hygiene practices, instead of buying from roadside traders who may not be licensed and could be causing an inconvenience to road users,” she said.

Dr Siti Mariah, who is also Selangor public health, unity, women empowerment and family committee chairman, urged MBSJ to be consistent when enforcing the law on illegal traders.

Gunasilan Arumugam and Muhammad Shafiq Abd Razak consider themselves among the lucky few to be granted a food stall at Medan Selera Puchong Permai.

Both are locals who reside nearby in Puchong Perdana.

“My wife and I run a stall selling South Indian food such as thosai, idli and cooked dishes,” said Gunasilan, adding that their food was Muslim-friendly as the ingredients were sourced from halal suppliers.

“I took over my father’s catering business after losing my job due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

“Business has been slow, but I am hopeful it will pick up after the food court’s launch,” said the 43-year-old who used to work in the aviation industry.

Gunasilan felt that MBSJ had been efficient in responding to his queries and guiding him through the licence application process.

Muhammad, who runs his drinks stall from 6am to midnight daily, said he used to sell drinks at Ramadan bazaars and did other odd jobs outside the festive season.

“Having a permanent stall now allows me to earn a more steady income,” said the 24-year-old who has three full-time staff and two part-time workers to help him.

Medan Selera Puchong Permai is located next to a 1.1ha public field, which cost MBSJ RM500,000 to develop and now serves as a space for community events such as football matches.

As part of MBSJ’s redevelopment project, there is also a Dataran Niaga Puchong Permai offering 60 covered lots for traders to sell light bites and takeaway food.

The parking space next to Dataran Niaga Puchong Permai is used to host a farmers market by the Federal Agricultural Marketing Authority (Fama) on Sunday mornings and car boot sale on Friday and Saturday nights.

Source: The Star