Yield: 6 servings
Cooking: 35-40 minutes
- 500 g Short or medium grain rice
- 4 cups Water
- Banana leaf or aluminium foil
- Bring the water and rice to the boil.
- Cover tightly with lid.
- Turn heat very low and cook for 35-40 minutes until all water is absorbed.
- Stir vigorously with a wooden spoon.
- Then press rice into a cake tin or pie plate to a depth of about 2.5 cm (1 inch).
- Use a piece of washed and greased banana leaf or greased aluminium foil to cover the surface of the rice and put another plate on top.
- Press down very firmly the plate.
- Put a weight on top and leave at room temperature for a few minutes, until very firm.
- Remove weight, plate and banana leaf and use a wet knife to cut rice into 5 cm squares.
- Serve with spicy peanut sauce.
These firm rice cakes are usually cooked in individual baskets of woven coconut leaves so that the rice swells until it fills the basket and becomes firmly compressed. Here is a simple and more practical way of producing similar results in Western kitchen