I don’t want to quarrel with Dr M, says Anwar

KUALA LUMPUR: PKR president Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim says he doesn’t want to get into a quarrel with Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad over the former premier’s recent statements.

"Why get so occupied with Tun Mahathir’s statements. We will be meeting again next week.

“I don’t want to quarrel with him,” he told reporters after “An Evening With Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim” here Sunday (Jan 3).

He said that what was said by Dr Mahathir this week may differ from what he might say the coming week.

Anwar was asked if the Pakatan Harapan coalition would still consider cooperating with Dr Mahathir’s Parti Pejuang Tanah Air in light of the recent tense relationship between the two leaders.

He reiterated that Pakatan’s doors would remain open to anyone who upholds the coalition’s struggle for good governance and against corruption and abuse of power.

“I agreed (to cooperate) not with a particular person or party, but on principles,” Anwar said.

On Thursday (Dec 31), Dr Mahathir admitted that he couldn’t get along with Anwar.

Dr Mahathir had also scoffed at Anwar’s claims that he had a strong, convincing and formidable majority to form the government, sarcastically telling the PKR leader “Eh, you pi baliklah (why don’t you just go back)”.

Dr Mahathir’s response follows Anwar’s statement on Tuesday (Dec 29) that the decision to work with the former prime minister should be decided collectively by Pakatan.

Ties between Anwar and Dr Mahathir soured following the “Sheraton Move” that triggered the collapse of the Pakatan government last February.

The two senior political figures had publicly traded barbs and it was believed that they are not on talking terms.

Source from: The Star