Flood mitigation project near IOI Mall Puchong delayed

Caption: Flood mitigation upgrading works near IOI Mall Puchong have been delayed due to pipe realignment works passing beneath the LDP highway. (Image source: MUHAMAD SHAHRIL ROSLI/The Star)

FLOOD mitigation upgrading works along Damansara-Puchong Expressway (LDP) near IOI Mall Puchong in Puchong have been delayed due to the realignment of a jacking pipe (typically used for drainage and sewerage) passing beneath the highway.

The project consultant’s inspector of work, Yusri Abdul Wahab, said the project, previously scheduled to be completed in February, was now expected to be completed in October because of the additional work.

“The jacking pipe needs to be realigned because the previous layout required the pipe to go underneath one of the pillars of the Bandar Puchong Jaya LRT Station,” he said.

“The LRT service owner-operator only permits work to be carried out between 2.30am and 4.30am, so we can only do our work during those hours.”

Meanwhile, Yusri said an existing on-site detention tank (OSD) underneath Persiaran Puchong Jaya Selatan, located near Skypod Residence, would have an additional pipe installed to redirect water flow.

“The OSD’s purpose is to catch stormwater when it rains heavily, hold the water temporarily then slowly release it into the drainage system,” he said.

“The new pipe will divert 70% of the water flow to a lake behind IOI Mall, while the remaining 30% will be directed into an existing pipe leading to the monsoon drain next to the shopping mall.”

Yusri said the existing monsoon drain cannot handle the excessive amount of water during heavy rain at present, hence the need for an additional pipe to redirect water flow.

He added that another reason for the delay was some damage that occurred during the installation of sheet piles near Jalan Merbah 1 as part of the project, and repairs were expected to be completed in October.

Subang Jaya City Council (MBSJ) Engineering Department deputy director, Dr Mohd Ariffuddin Kamari, said the additional flood mitigation upgrading works had been approved by the highway authorities.

“The current priority is to adjust the schedule to ensure the project is fully completed,” he said.

The project was announced by MBSJ on Nov 5 last year, following a series of flash floods that included one incident where the carpark and lower floor of a shopping mall were submerged under 0.3m of water.

It was originally scheduled for completion by late February this year, at a cost of RM4.78mil.

Resources : The Star