Image credit :Alibaba
- 600g freshly grated coconut (white part only)
- 100g cooked glutinous rice flour (ko fun)
- 150g crystallised candied melon (tung kwa)— chopped
- 50g melon seeds (kwa chee) — toasted
- 75g olive kernels (lum yan) — toasted
- 100g sesame seeds — toasted
- 50g milk powder
- 4 tbsp corn oil
- 4 tbsp water
- 150g sugar
- 1/2 tsp saltEgg glaze:
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsb water
- A pinch of salt
- A drop of dark soy sauce (for colouring)
- STEAM grated coconut for 30 mins until soft then leave to cool. Mix (B) together in a mixing bowl. Stir in coconut and mix well. Add in (A) and stir well to mix. Lastly add in ko fun to combine the ingredients.
- Divide mixture into equal portions of 110g each. Add a salted egg yolk in the centre of each portion. Wrap up with pastry dough. Seal up the edges. Place into a lightly dusted mooncake mould. Press slightly with the flat of your palm. Knock out the mooncake.
- Bake mooncake in a preheated oven at 180ºC for 10 mins. Remove mooncake from the oven and leave aside for 2 mins. Brush with egg glaze and bake again for 8 mins or until golden brown.
- To make egg glaze: Mix well before use.
- Preparation of salted egg yolk: Wash the salted egg yolk and roll over in sesame oil. Steam for 2 minutes. Leave to cool.