image credit: lifeloveandsugar
Cook Time: 28 minutes
Prep Time: 30 minutes
2 cups (260g) flour
2 cups (414g) sugar
3/4 cup (85g) natural unsweetened cocoa powder OR Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 cup (240ml) buttermilk
1 cup (240ml) vegetable oil
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup (240ml) boiling water
1 1/2 cups (336g) butter
1 1/2 cups (284g) shortening
8–9 cups (920g-1035g) powdered sugar
3 cups (414g) Oreo crumbs (about 33 Oreos)
1 tsp vanilla extract
6–7 tbsp (90ml-105ml) water
6 oz (1 cup | 169g) semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Prepare three 8 inch cake pans with parchment paper circles in the bottom, and grease the sides.
- Add all dry ingredients to a large bowl and whisk together.
- Add eggs, buttermilk and vegetable oil to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add vanilla to boiling water and add to mixture. Mix well.
- Divide batter between three cakes pans and bake at 300 degrees for about 30-33 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out with a few crumbs.
- Remove cakes from oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes, then remove to cooling racks to cool completely.
- Make icing while cakes cool. Beat together butter and shortening until smooth.
- Slowly add 4 cups of powdered sugar and mix until smooth.
- Add vanilla and Oreo crumbs and mix until smooth.
- Add another 4-5 cups of powdered sugar and mix until smooth. Add water or milk until you get a smooth consistency.
- Set aside about 3 1/2 cups of icing for the filling inside the cake and add chopped Oreos, if using.