Billboard Street

Some billboards are located at busy intersections.

DIGITAL and static billboards are mushrooming along local roadways.

From small ones on lamp posts to big gantries over multiple lanes, these billboards are now commonplace especially on busy routes like Jalan Tun Razak, Jalan Bukit Bintang and Jalan Sultan Ismail.

They are also strategically erected on major thoroughfare including the Federal Highway, Damansara-Puchong Highway (LDP) and SPRINT Highway, New Pantai Expressway and Besraya Highway.

Not all road users are happy with having their attention diverted, especially if they have their hands on the wheel and are supposed to keep their eyes on the road.

The glare

Azreen Khairudin, 25, said the big overhead digital billboard on LDP in Puchong, Selangor, was too bright.

“It is fine during the day but so bright at night that it hurts my eyes.

“I have mild astigmatism. It is dangerous especially for drivers with high astigmatism,” she said.

Similarly, another motorist who did not want to be named, said he too was briefly distracted while on the road due to glare from one of the billboards on LDP.

“I was passing through Puchong, when the digital billboard was flashing an advertisement with a white background.

A digital billboard above the entrance of the Damansara Utama underpass on LDP. The structure is blocking the view of motorists on LDP who want to make a U-turn.A digital billboard above the entrance of the Damansara Utama underpass on LDP. The structure is blocking the view of motorists on LDP who want to make a U-turn.

“It was about 7pm. The billboard was so bright that I could not concentrate fully on the road and had to slow down.

“I lodged a report with the Malaysian Highway Authority on the matter and hoped something would be done about it,” he said.

Another motorist, who only wanted to be known as Lee from Petaling Jaya, said digital billboards were even more distracting when it rained.

“The glare from the billboard is intensified due to the diffusion of light caused by the raindrops,” he said.

Artificial glow

Damansara Utama resident Ian Wong said LED billboards also contribute to light pollution.

“It is not only bad for motorists, but also affects the residents living close by.

“The light flicker, light intensity difference during the change of image, during daytime and night-time, all must be controlled.

“We don’t know if the authorities have mandated these requirements or not in the guidelines to the billboard operators,” he said.

There is a concern that once the billboard is operational, it may distract motorists entering this underpass.There is a concern that once the billboard is operational, it may distract motorists entering this underpass.

Structural safety

The safety of the structure so close to residential vicinity is also a major concern to some residents.

Wong said there had been more incidents of tall structures, including billboards, toppling during recent storms.

“Due to climate change, extreme weather events will be more likely to occur such as stronger wind force and wind blast.

“The Damansara Utama Residents and Owners Association (Duroa), which I am a part of, had raised concerns before with our local councillor.

“But we have not heard feedback from the authorities to clarify if the standards and guidelines for these tall billboard structures have been updated, taking into consideration potentially higher wind force arising from climate change.

“There is no legitimate avenue for us to question and verify this with the authority’s concern, ” said Wong.

He also questioned if fire risk mitigation measures had been incorporated into the standards and requirements for the approved billboards.

“For instance, is there a requirement to use of non-flammable materials?” he asked.

Wong urged the authorities to be more open, transparent and proactive in engaging with the residents associations. — By VIJENTHI NAIR

2024-07-07T16:00:00Z

Source link: thestar