Have separate laws to curb bullying in schools, govt urged

PUTRAJAYA: Standalone anti-bullying legislation should be enacted to address the problem among students in schools, say parents and special interest groups.

Zainizam Wakimun, 45, the parent of a bullied Form One student, said it was time the government introduced such a law after his son was left with a broken arm and traumatised by seniors at his school.

"My son sustained physical injuries and no longer wants to go to boarding school.

“As a parent, I need to do something as it is my responsibility. I hope the government will take bullying cases more seriously,” he told reporters after meeting former prime minister Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad at the Perdana Leadership Foundation here on Tuesday (May 31).
He was accompanied by Pertubuhan Aspirasi Wanita Malaysia (Aswa), which will be submitting a memorandum on the issue to the Education Ministry, Higher Education Ministry and the Prime Minister’s Department (Parliament and Law division).

During an incident on May 13, Muhammad Fateh Muslim bin Zainizam, 13, was beaten up by several seniors at a boarding school in Negri Sembilan.
The victim sustained a number of injuries including a broken arm and a police report was lodged.

Zainizam said there should be standardised internal standard operating procedures (SOP) across schools nationwide on how to handle bullying cases.

"After the perpetrators were remanded by police, they were allowed to return to the boarding school.

“If I send my son back, what will happen to him? Do you want to wait for him to be beaten to death before action is taken?” he asked.